March 18, 2009

Better off watching on Hulu, in bed with my cat

I'd seen the promos for Better Off Ted, but was planning to resist watching because THERE'S TOO MUCH GOOD TELEVISION ON THESE DAYS, GODDAMNIT and I don't need another must-see show. Terminator, Lost, Chuck, 30 Rock, Fringe, ... thank god for Hulu.

Better off Ted is a satirical comedy about a company called Veridian Dynamics that manufactures everything from office chairs to "that thing, with all the gears," and, by the way, how much do I love that they created a fictitious corporate website for the company? Oh yeah, that much! They had me at the opening credits, which are designed to look and feel like a corporate advertisement.

The main character, Ted, talks directly to the camera. I haven't seen that gimmick since Moonlighting, and I still miss it. I'm not ashamed to admit, I love shows with a gimmick, and Better Off Ted has several. When he goes home from the office, Ted gets advice from his five year old daughter. She's the voice of reason among a sea of crazies.

Portia de Rossi is terrific. What an inspired bit of casting. She plays the emotionless Veronica Parker, who regularly enters Ted's office with orders from above. That is from the company, which she refers to as They. As in, "They want a mouse that can survive temperatures of 120 degrees."

The show has great writers. Here's just a sample of memorable lines from the pilot:

"We want to weaponize a pumpkin."

"Can a company be bitchy?"

"Making toast is fine, you do it well, but you need more."

"I used up my office affair. You only get one."

"And so, they froze Phil."

No comments: