January 31, 2009

Truth In Advertising

Apparently that was the original title of the new show that started airing this week, Trust Me. Not to be confused with the video called Truth in Advertising, that was made back in 2000 for a Canadian advertising awards show (and features Colin Mochrie).

Canadians are everywhere it seems: both Eric McCormack and Tom Cavanagh, the stars of Trust Me, are Canadian. McCormack named his son after Casey & Finnegan from Mr Dressup; and Cavanagh used to do commercials for Labatt Blue. (He was the guy standing on the dock on a lake up north, who looks at his Blue with love, then at the lake with scorn and says, "If I'd wanted water, I would have ordered water." Remember? Yeah, that guy.)

But I digress.

The best scene in the pilot comes early, just before Stu, the Group Creative Director, drops dead of a heart attack. He delivers a long, ranting speech that ends with, "Clients are idiots!"

(At that moment, everyone watching the show who has ever worked in an agency stood up and cheered.)

I wish I could find the clip on TNT's website, or on YouTube, but I can't. So you'll just have to bittorrent it.

If you did watch the pilot, didn't you just cringe with embarrassment when the weasely creative director, Simon, was pitching his lame idea for Arc Mobile to the client? Pointing at stock photos of people skateboarding and whatnot, while the lamest George Michael song in the world played in the background?

I know, "lamest George Michael song" is something of an oxymoron. Or something. Gak; now I'm going to have that execrable song stuck in my head for a week. Really, it's worse than Hotel California.

But I digress.

Trust Me is a must-watch for anyone interested in advertising. Are you listening, my students? I'm adding it to my appointment TV list, because it's not available on Hulu and, well, it's just too good to miss.

(Personally, I thought Spartexticus was a clever idea. Which is probably why I'm not a Creative Director.)

3 comments:

Faith said...

Good Lord! Is that a rabbit or a donkey? And what is that animal with a crown to the right of it?

And while "Will" and "Ed" are fun and fun to look at, I'm sensing the real breakout stars of the show will most likely be the junior creatives, Tom and Hector.

Of course, it'll be fun to see what happens when they do a Sarah-centric episode to explore why she's such an asshole. I mean, perfectionist. I sense a sick mother and/or daddy issues.

And wouldn't it be so fun to run onto the set and steal all the fake Clios?

Lilly Buchwitz said...

The one on the left is Casey. The one on the right is Finnegan. They're Mr Dressup's puppets, as every Canadian child knows.

Finnegan doesn't talk, by the way.

Rich said...

I have a Season Pass on my TiVo for Trust Me, and the first thing I thought about after watching the pilot was, "I really want to know what Lilly thinks about this show."

Even for a non-advertising, PR/journo person like me, I still found myself entertained and will definitely keep the season pass going.